Saturday, May 10, 2008

Romantic Times Convention 2008

Okay, here goes... I am about to talk about a dangerous subject...
*ducks behind cover and checks for incoming fire*
The Romantic Times Convention 2008.

So I've read a lot of the blogs and heard all the arguments surrounding the RT Convention this year and you know what? I don't really want to go over it all again and if you're anything like me I bet you don't want to hear it either. I do however want to share my experiences; the things that keep me travelling over 5000 miles across the ocean to attend every year.

Getting a chance to meet my favorite authors or hear them speak - especially if they give away spoilers, lol! - is wonderful but not the reason I keep coming back.
RT for me is a place where I can be among people who love the same thing I do - books. It is the one place I can go alone and know I won't be lonely. It's a place where I can sit down next to a stranger in the bar, bond over 'what are you reading?' and leave with a new friend. It's a place where you can wear pink bunny ears on your head, carry flashing doohickies, dress up as a slave girl or wear a mardi gras mask and talk about how hot vampires and shapeshifters are and no one thinks you're weird. It gives me a chance to meet face to face with friends I talk to all year online and make new friends whom I look forward to seeing again next year.

In the meantime, I'd love to hear your favorite RT experiences and if you have a link to share your favorite photos please feel free to share those too. In the spirit of the immortal phrase 'a picture is worth a thousand words' here are mine: http://www.flickr.com/photos/caitmiller/

I for one can't wait to go to Orlando next year for another Romantic Times Convention and I hope to see you there!

1 comment:

Lynn LaFleur said...

I enjoy going to writing conferences for the same reason as Cait--to be with people who know exactly how I feel and go through the same anguish I do when putting words on the computer screen. I enjoy the togetherness, the bonding, the laughter. The writers I've met have all been so friendly, and the readers are the best! I leave a conference totally jazzed to come home and write.

Lynn