Monday, May 14, 2012

Life Goes On

I love my dad. I suppose I’ve always taken it for granted that he will always be there if I need him. In March this year my dad had a heart attack. Such a mild term for something that affects your life in such a profound way. The medical professionals seemed unperturbed. They ran their tests, arranged a follow up appointment, gave him a bagful of medicines and sent him on his way with the possibility of surgery looming in the future. But my family’s world, my world was changed forever. It suddenly made me realise that I could lose him. That not only am I getting older but so are my parents and they won’t be here forever. It’s a frightening thought.

Life went on but I was living on my nerves, stomach churning with every twinge of angina my dad had. Terrified that the next one would be ‘the big one’. Eventually I managed to put it to the back of my mind and things started to get back to normal. Fate is an evil bitch. She likes to let you relax before she messes with you. As it happened that was at midnight 2 and a half weeks ago. I was just about to go to bed when my world crashed down again. As a midwife I have some medical knowledge and usually know what to do in a crisis. It all goes out the window when it’s someone you love though. A blue light ambulance later my dad was back in the hospital.

The docs ran their tests again and scratched their heads over why my dad was still alive, let alone feeling fairly well. 2 arteries to his heart were blocked. I chewed my nails and antacids for a week while they scheduled him for surgery. Then for another 2 and a half hours over a procedure that was supposed to take 40 minutes. Next day my dad was home. It all seems like a bit of an anticlimax. I am VERY happy to say everything was a success but I’m still having a hard time believing it’s all over. It’s a good problem to have and I’ve learned a valuable lesson.

Hold your family close, take nothing for granted.

2 comments:

N.J.Walters said...

I'm sorry for what happened to your father, but so glad to hear his surgery went well and he's recovering.

Hugs
NJ

Cait Miller said...

Thanks N.J!
Cait