Sunday, October 28, 2012

The Best Laid Plans

I know it's my turn to blog on Monday of the week before it's due. From the first announcement I get, I start thinking about what to say. This week, I knew on Friday I would be going on a field trip with my students. This particular field trip was a zip line adventure. We would climb, zip, and scamper through the woods 70 feet in the air.

Did I mention I am afraid of heights? I mean, panic attack, whimper in fear, curl up in the fetal position afraid of heights. I was basically pressured into this by my students after having avoided this yearly trip for 6 years. I finally had to give in. How could I preach about facing challenges and leaving your comfort zone if I wouldn't do it?

So, with much trepidation, I went. I was almost sick to my stomach when I had to step off the first platform. I managed to do it, but not without swearing a great deal. I managed to make it through the whole course without crying, vomiting, or clinging to a tree. . .well, okay, not a lot of clinging. I was proud of myself and my students were proud of me and had the opportunity to feel braver than their teacher. It was a win-win for everyone. Great idea for a blog, right?

But then I thought about blogging about my anniversary. My husband and I have been married for 16 years now and we still not only love each other, we still lust each other. Especially when I'm writing. . .

I even thought about blogging about a new book I'm working on.

Then that bitch Sandy decided to slam the east coast and now I'm scrambling to get the blog written before I lose power AGAIN!

AGAIN! Last year we lost power twice for a week each time. Once because of hurricane Irene and once because of a freak October snow storm. Sandy promises to be a little of both and the worst we've seen for a while. ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?????

I'm still traumatized from last year. I can't handle cooking over the fondue pot and putting in my contacts by candle light for another week. And if I have to play endless games of Monopoly again, someone may be hurt.

So, if you don't hear from me for a while, say a prayer that my sanity holds out, or at least the supply of tequila...

2 comments:

Lynn LaFleur said...

Saying a prayer for everyone on the East Coast as Sandy heads toward you. Stay safe, Arianna!

Lynn

Cait Miller said...

Take care Arianna!
Cait xx